Who we are
selenOmed was founded in 2017 by Prof. Lutz Schomburg (Charité University Hospital, Berlin) who is one of the world leading experts in selenium research.
What we do
selenOmed offers diagnostic tools and services to analyse the selenium status in humans.
Selenium is an essential trace mineral needed for a long and healthy life. The dietary intake of selenium is not always sufficient for full selenoprotein biosynthesis, conferring an increased and avoidable risk for human health, e.g. for metabolic, autoimmune and neoplastic diseases.
How can the selenium status be determined?
Selenoprotein P (SELENOP) is the best biomarker for the selenium status in humans, because
- SELENOP reflects the bio-available fraction of selenium in blood
- SELENOP enables the monitoring of selenium supplementation
- low SELENOP concentrations indicate Se deficiency
- SELENOP can be reliable quantified by selenOtest ELISA
SELENOP deficiency is associated with the following diseases or complications:
- thyroid diseases
- weak immune system
- higher mortality risk from infections, including sepsis and COVID-19
- higher risk of cancer incidence (e.g. colorectal, liver, lung)
- lower survival rate following cancer diagnosis (e.g. breast, prostate, lung)
- severe side-effects from cancer radiotherapy
- elevated risk for cardiovascular events (stroke, myocardial infarction)
- increased risk for autoimmune diseases
- poor sperm quality and pregnancy complications